Anker PowerPort 2 Elite (2017) Review
Anker has redesigned their popular 2-port USB charger for 2017. So what’s new with Anker PowerPort 2 Elite?
- NEW! Durability: Anker has made the “Elite” version of the PowerPort 2 a little more durable than previous versions with a matte, scratch-resistant exterior. This new design is slightly larger than the previous version.
- Two ports: Both ports feature Anker’s PowerIQ technology, meaning that each one can provide up to 2.4 amps of power if your device (such as an iPad) requires it. Otherwise, it will provide the standard 1 amp charge used by most smartphones. You don’t have to worry about which device you plug into which port, as both ports will automatically adapt to whatever you plug in.
- Foldable prongs: This is essential for a travel chargers, and I really like that the power prongs fold into the unit which makes it easy to pack and travel with.
- No vampire power: When I plugged the Anker PowerPort 2 Elite into my Kill-a-Watt power meter, it didn’t register any electrical draw when there was nothing plugged into it. So it shouldn’t affect your electric bill by leaving it plugged in all the time.
- Safety: Under a full load, the PowerPort 2 Elite became warm, but not alarmingly hot. Anker puts several protection features into the PowerPort, including surge and overcharge protections.
- LED does not change color: Unlike last year’s model, the LED does not change colors to indicate when the connected devices are done charging.
- Larger size: Oddly, the PowerPort 2 Elite is slightly larger than last year’s PowerPort 2.
- No Quick Charge technology: If you’re looking for a charger for your Quick Charge-compatible device, check out the Anker’s PowerPort+ (note the “plus”) line of chargers.
Overall, this charger performs great and is ideal for travel with its foldable prongs and more rugged design.
Each of the 2 ports on the Anker PowerPort 2 can provide up to 2.4 amps of power, allowing it to charge 2 iPads at full speed simultaneously. It also works great for smartphones, smart watches, Bluetooth speakers and other gadgets. The foldable prongs make it a great travel companion.