If you’re looking for a high quality shelf speaker with Bluetooth, AirPlay, and DLNA streaming capabilities, the GGMM M4 speaker will fill the room with rich sound wirelessly.
- Sound quality: Obviously one of the most important features of a speaker is the sound quality, and this speaker definitely does not disappoint. There is a good (but not muddy) bass response as well as great mids and highs. I have a Sonos PLAY:1 speaker and I would rate this speaker as a very close contender, but maybe just a notch below the Sonos in terms of sound quality. The speaker also gets fairly loud (enough to annoy the neighbors) with virtually no distortion.
- Bluetooth: A feature missing from the Sonos PLAY:1 is Bluetooth, so I’m glad to see that Bluetooth is incorporated in the GGMM M4. Some may argue that the compression used in the Bluetooth protocol can lessen the sound quality of the music, but Bluetooth 4.0 (which this GGMM unit uses) offers some great improvements in terms of sound quality, so I believe this is become less and less of an issue.
- WiFi: This speaker also has built-in WiFi functionality. When the speaker is set to WiFi mode, it will begin broadcasting its own WiFi network “GGMM_M4_XXX” (the “XXX” will be 3 random characters). Connect your computer or smartphone to this network and you can start enjoying AirPlay and DLNA streaming right away. Or, you can link this speaker to your home router. While connected to the speaker via WiFi, open a web browser and go to: 192.168.78.1
On this page, you can select “Client Mode”, scan for you home router, enter your WiFi password, and you’re linked up. This way, any iPhone or Mac computer on your home network can AirPlay music directly to this speaker (Android users can use DLNA streaming via the GGMM app).
- Aux: If you don’t want to bother with WiFi or Bluetooth configurations, you can also connect your phone directly to the speaker with the included 3.5mm audio cable. This also makes it compatible with devices such as the Chromecast Audio dongle.
- Bass boost: There is a dedicated bass boost button on the top of the speaker that subtly increases the bass without making it sound overpowered or distorted. However, I think the bass sounds great on the speaker without it, so I leave it off most of the time.
- Built-in battery: I was also pleased to see that this speaker incorporate a built-in battery for up to 8 hours of playback (Bluetooth or WiFi streaming will reduce the battery runtime due to the additional power requirement). So you can pick up the speaker and carry it room to room or take it outside on the deck for entertaining.
- AC power: If you plan to keep the speaker stationary, you can leave it plugged into the wall. The power adapter has the UL certification logo on it.
- Design: I really like the soft leather exterior of the speaker and the old school look of the speaker itself. It looks great sitting on a shelf, but can also function as a portable “boombox” as needed.
- No FM tuner: There is no built-in FM tuner on this speaker, so it is dependent on a device (smartphone, computer, etc) being connected to it.
- No skip, rewind buttons: There are buttons for the volume, but no buttons to skip, rewind, or play/pause the music.
- No built-in apps: If you’re familiar with the Sonos ecosystem, you’re probably aware that the speakers can directly connect to Pandora, Spotify, etc even when your phone leaves the network. That is not the case with this speaker and it does need to be connected to a device for streaming playback.
Overall, the GGMM M4 definitely has a high-end sound and incorporates Bluetooth, AirPlay, and DLNA music streaming. The design and built-in battery also makes the speaker portable for when you need to take the party on-the-go.
Check out the GGMM M4 Speaker on Amazon
— Sample provided for review.